8.21.2009

I'm living out a stereotype.

3 Visits to a doctor (so far),
2 separate x-ray sessions (so far),
1 bottle of synthetic pain relief,
A cast,
2 borrowed crutches,
A clean break in the left fibula,
A scuffed elbow, knee, and gut,
A seriously bruised ego,
A new fender,
New seals,
New shift lever,
New rear sprocket cover,
New clutch lever,
New engine guard,
New left fork,
New battery cover,
New foot pegs…

But walking away from a motorcycle crash that involved me and my bike only is priceless.

I’m fine, albeit hobbled a bit. My docs have told me that the break was bad, but I was extremely lucky. 9 times out of 10, with the break that I have, apparently it pulls some ligaments loose and normally breaks the tibia as well. I can’t tell you how thankful I am to be the 1/10th that gets away with it. I can’t tell you how thankful I am for insurance that has been very good to me. I can’t tell you, again, just how lucky of an individual I am. I’m a new rider, and fell into a stereotype. Thankfully it wasn’t the stereotype that includes me not getting up at the end of the crash.

Will I get back on the bike again? Yeah, as soon as it’s ready and I’m able. Nothing can compare to being on the back of a bike like that. Nothing.

8 comments:

Crochet Goddess said...

I will have to take your word on this one. I hope you recover soon and good luck.

Matt said...

thanks :) I wish there was another way to compare what it's like riding on the back of a bike...

Thanks for the well-wishes though. I'm on the road to recovery already.

T.Gray said...

I don't know dude..... I think I'd rather sit on the porch of my house overlooking the ocean, glass of red wine in hand, and beautiful girlfriend by my side, eating homemade ice cream after a delicious supper, but then that's me :-) I wish for you a speedy recovery!

T.Gray said...

of course, I don't have a house at the beach..............

Matt said...

Tom, I'd side with the oceanfront house, red wine in hand.. and all of that as well..

and we're kinda in the same boat right now... I actually don't have a bike right now.

Crochet Goddess said...

Thank you for the receipe I need for the roma's. Tom's receipe is the one I could not find. I guess I looked over it when I searched past posts.

Volunteer abroad India said...

I hope you'll recover fast. You will be fine soon enough. Take care and God bless!

Matt said...

Volunteer abroad India,

thanks for the well-wishes. I actually go today to get the 1st cast off.

Interesting site that you linked back to as well, if I had a ton of time off to go volunteer, that would be interesting work in a beautiful country.