5.11.2009

mother's day weekend...

As far as Mother's Day goes, I think we did right by our folks.

Kristen and I took mom and my sister out Saturday to Ganache in Greensboro. If you've never been, I can absolutely recommend both lunch and dinner menus. I opted for a cup of she-crab soup with a bit of sherry on the side, and then a bowl of shrimp and grits. They were local stone ground grits and freshwater NC prawns with a few medallions of incredibly tender andouille sausage... and it was swimming in a red gravy and smoked gouda. I only wish I had carried my camera in to document it all. Kristen with with a gourmet Bayou mac and cheese: Fusilli pasta with smoked cheddar bechamel, sauteed giant prawn, and cajun breadcrumbs. Sis had their crabcakes served with Old Mill grits, a creole remoulade, and collard greens. The crabcakes were more spherical than I had imagined and almost convinced me that they were hush puppies.. until they were broken open to reveal some jumbo lump crab meat. Finally, mom dove in to a Tartlet Ganache. Veggies, egg, and cheese with a side salad. We were all sharing bites here and there from all of the plates, and I can outright openly recommend any of those four plates mentioned.

Dessert was a different world... 4 cups of Kona came out, followed by a 5 plates. We split one macaroon which was easily the size of an open hand. Sis had a piece of white raspberry chiffon cake, Mom went with a Mocha Cake (with kahlua laced buttercream), I had a piece of Bailey's chocolate crunch cake, and Kristen went with a piece of really good Key Lime Pie. We rambled around Greensboro for a bit longer, taking care of an ipod return at Best Buy and picking up a few things at Harris Teeter.

Again, I need to get my camera back out. Dinner saturday night was homemade hibachi steak and shrimp and fried rice with a local egg scrambled in it.

Yesterday was an outing to Bonefish and Henry's Gelato (try the chili chocolate if you go) in Aberdeen with Kristen's folks... and that's the reason I'm going try to put together my own version of Bang Bang shrimp for a salad tonight.

... maybe this time I'll have the camera out. I kinda need to snap some pics of the new truck too.

4 comments:

Crochet Goddess said...

I love Ganache! The She crab soup and shrimp and grits are great. I notice in a preious post that you have been to Mellow Mushroom. I have not tried the one in Greensboro yet but I have been to the one in Winston I went again on Sat after my daughter's graduation. Have a great week.

Matt said...

oh Ganache, I could pass the time there quite easily.

Yeah, the mellow mushroom in greensboro is unlike any other that I've been to. It'd been designed from the ground up and is an absolutely location. The food is stil as great as it has been for a MM, but the decor is out of this world.

T.Gray said...

Matt, where in the heck is Ganache?

I've only been to the MM in Wilmington, have had an outstanding meal there, and a disappointing one. I prefer my own pizza :-)

Later-Tom

ps-you gotta start grabbing some images of all this food you write so well about!

Matt said...

Tom,
Ganache is on 403 north elm in downtown greensboro. If you go 220, turn right on market, left on N. Elm, it'll be on your left.

the MM in gboro just opened up recently on S. Elm St. I think it's 906.. or 609 S. Elm. Just over the railroad tracks on your left.. near some antique shops.

I'll have to get some pics of food, I agree.. it's a hard choice for me though: camera, or fork.

As far as the pictures are concerned, I agree.