5.05.2009

Where did I go hide?

I'm not sure I could really say I've been as busy, but I've been slack. Things have been kind of busy though:

Back in mid april, we set out on a trip to Kitty Hawk. I had a work conference there, and Kristen made the trip out with me. Contrary to popular opinion, it's actually an awful location for a work conference. Being couped up for 7 to 8 hours a day in meetings and seminars wouldn't be as bad if I didn't know that the ocean was a stonesthrow away. It has been over 15 years since I've been out to the upper banks. I'm normally a southern banks kinda guy. Give me a quiet beaufort corner any day. The northern banks have turned into a "little boxes on the hillside" community from kitty hawk north. Every McMansion looks the same... and it's sad being able to pick out the home that have been there for 15 years. We climbed up the currituck light and the wild horses that used to run about have been replaced with tile rooftops, bmw's, and swimming pools.

Seriously? Swimming pools? You have water on both sides of you. I'm going out on a limb with the assumption that 60+ % of the homeowners in corolla/duck aren't exactly "local" either.

Despite my complaints, the trip was enjoyable. Kristen got to see Jockey's Ridge, we had great food, and effectively had a free room. No real copmlaints, aside from the 39,000 knowitalls there from new england while we were there.

I'm also shopping for a car... er, truck. I've been looking around for something different to drive for a while now, and thought I had settled on getting a motorcycle. Even had the color, make, model, specs and everything else figured out. That's what wish lists are for though. So yeah, a new vehicle. New to me, anyway. My honda has served me well. It saw a cross country trek to and from Denver, carried me back and forth to college, stood up to two different awful work commutes (from troy to biscoe, biscoe back to troy, troy to asheboro, asheboro back to troy all in a day / asheboro to candor) and is still rolling along. I've put 188k miles on it. It has never seen an accident / wreck. I'll surely miss it. On the upside, I've tracked down a 2007 Nissan Frontier. Odd, I've been having the most difficult time typing out "frontier" too... Hopefully, everything will be said and done by either the end of this week, or early next week.

Let's see here, what else have I missed:
- Petunia had been sick, and we think that it may be bladder stones. The vet has sent us home with some painkillers/anti-inflammatory meds for her.
- Go to the mellow mushroom if you're in greensboro and want better pizza than what you can get at some places. I still like Elizabeth's equally as well, but the mellow mushroom is a beautiful building down on S. Elm st.
- I've applied at ECU online to finish out my degree, so that's a plus.

Next time, I'll try to update more often.. that way I don't lose the tiny details.

No comments: