7.27.2009

A Natty Greene's coming to Asheboro?

So, I overheard a rumor this past weekend. I'm not much for gossip, but if something like this were to happen, it'd be kinda neat. There is an empty building in downtown Asheboro at the intersection of sunset and fayetteville streets. Yeah, with the huge mural on the side that has been there as long as I can recall... that one. Well, according to a bird that I bumped into over the past weekend, there was a rumor floating around that the Natty Greene brewery/brewpub/restaurant was looking to move into that location.

Granted, it's just a rumor, but it would be more growth downtown.. and they have some fantastic food. I brought up the fact that the parking would be a bit to deal with, but was reminded that the original Natty Greene's in Greensboro has to deal with the same parking dilemma.

I guess we can just wait to see if the "FOR LEASE" banner is taken down.

3 comments:

T.Gray said...

Hmmmmhhhhhh, do you think they would survive, much less thrive, in A'boro? I'm skeptical, but then I haven't even ventured into Rockola since they started serving beer. Nevertheless, I hope you're right!

Matt said...

I'd like to say that they would survive, but it's hard to say. Natty's does so well in Greensboro due to, in my opinion, the fact that they offer thirsty thursday specials in correlation with the grasshoppers games. Location serves them well, as does the partnership with the hoppers. I'm not sure the copperheads would pair up with natty greene's if it were to come to town.
I think there is still a stigma with a lot of folks here about a restaurant that either serves beer, not to mention one that is based on the fact that they brew their own.
I'd like to think that the community wasn't still as split with the pro/anti alcohol, but it seems to be. The thing is, I've seen enough of the folks with the "save asheboro, vote no" stickers sipping on daquiris to be more annoyed by their hipocrisy than their stance on alcohol... but that's a whole different blog post altogether... and honestly, one that I'd rather avoid.

Crochet Goddess said...

Well I hope Natty's will come to Asheboro. I have never been the the one in Greensboro but one year while my daughter was in college we went to the rib fest and I tried a beer from Natty's and I tasted a beer from Natty's and I liked it! I am not a real beer fan. If Natty's come to Asheboro I hope they will work with the cooperheads. We need something to add life to Asheboro.