8.27.2008

Google Earth!

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2214504/google-remolds-earth

take a read folks... Google Earth has added the street view (what everything actually looks like from ground view) and put in better (3D) navigation to the program.

So what's the big deal?

If you have a mobile device that can access the internet (pda/smartphone) who would need a GPS anymore? You can actually get turn by turn directions, see the actual buildings around you, and get the most accurate digital depiction of.. well.. the world.

But why would google use street view here.. I mean, we're just Randolph County right?

You'd be shocked and amazed folks. A little over a month ago, I noticed the odd elongated white van (with an omnidirectional camera) parked in the Walmart parking lot. It was actually parked in a space, thankfully. Sections of Asheboro are already on the google streetview layer.

This (I would imagine) is going to be applied on a global level too.. and for a simple blue-collar worker like myself, this allows us to see parts of the world that I may never be able to see. Imagine the benefit to school children. Why just talk about the pyramids or the Eiffel Tower when you can see it and the surroundings on the screen right in front of you... interactively.

I've used google earth to help me lay out some plans for the upcoming honeymoon. It can show you gas prices, hotels, things to do, restaurants... etc.

If you haven't yet tried this program, jump all over it here: http://earth.google.com/

I've yet to try out the plus version, but I'm half tempted to give it a shot.

3 comments:

T.Gray said...

Matt,
Google earth is cool. It works on my son's newer computer, but not my old Win98 job, which I am still perfectly content with, for the most part.

Thanks for the blog comment! Here's the deal - when you write about what you eat, you become more intentional about what you eat. I had heard about the phenomenon, but for me this realization is all hindsight. Plus, Michael Ruhlman wrote the following applicable quote - "how do I know what I think until I've read what I've written."

Re: your poll - Seagrove really needs a grocery store! A Trader Joe's would be cool, or something like a mini version of Weaver's Street Market.

As to coffee and beer snobbism - my sister brought some beans back from a mission trip to Guatemala a few weeks ago. Boil water, grind beans and spill into bottom of French press, pour water over beans and let them do their thing for roughly 4 minutes, hit the plunger and pour. A spoonful of turbinado and a splash of 1/2 and 1/2 and I'm cool. Trying to wean myself off other caffeine drinks, like DP, in the AM. As to beer - I had some wheat beer from Carolina Brewery at a pig picking this summer. Tasty. But my usual is Corona with a lime wedge, I know, very passe if not proletariat. My tastes in wine are probably just as mundane, which is not to say I'm not a snob in other areas. Let's talk chef's knives.....

Enjoy your wedding!

Later-Tom

Matt said...

ooohooo, you just HAD to bring up the Shun that I saw in one of the newest photos! I'd love to try my hand with a few of the kyocera ceramics, but my heart is set on a wusthof block.

heh. Nothing quite like a french press either. I've a bodum that has served me well for years. Absolutely nothing wrong with a corona, even with a lime wedged into the neck.

If there were a trader joes in Seagrove, I think I would have to relocate. Oddly, though.. for people making their living from the earth, I think a trader joes would fit.

thanks for the well-wishing.

T.Gray said...

Matt, seriously, bring the bride by, and check out my MAC's before you go German. The quality of Japanese steel is top drawer.